Saturday, March 22, 2008

THE FIRST TIME I SAW YOU


It was in the middle of March, but still the days were fulfilled by the rain, almost in every evening. That night, I saw people run, walked, rode or even drove their vehicles under the rain with a certain haste. Perhaps, they tried hard to catch their home on time though the downpour seemed to block their way home. A glimpse of hope for meeting the family soon was flared somewhere in the middle of their mind, couldn’t wait for such a delay. For a husband or wife, they couldn’t help hugging and kissing their spouse soon; for parents, they could have no longer wait to cuddle their babes at home; and for youths, they longed for a glass of hot milk to drink and a piece of blanket or quilt to snug into a comfy bed.
Then here I am, riding my “blue Astrea Grand” under the rain alone. The gold raincoat that cover my body couldn’t cope with the rain. Some wet spots appeared on the tip of my reddish- darkbrown trousers. My bare feet inside the red sandals were completely soaked by the water. I felt cold but I couldn’t stop even just for a short break. I must go on. I didn’t have enough time to stop ‘coz I couldn’t ride my motor bike fast. I should go on carefully. The street could be very slippery during the rain. I had to start my IELTS class on time, and the rain should not be an excuse for me for coming late. So, there were no warm hug and kiss from a spouse, a nice cuddling from parents, a piece of cozy quilt or even a glass of milk that I dream on the way. The one and only thing I could hope at that time was to attend my class ON TIME, or necessarily IN TIME. I didn’t care if I just had only one, two or so students just because of the rain. It was just because I wanted to keep my words to somebody else. Well, I should stay at home that night until Mr Ahmad, my teaching partner, called me and asked me to subtitute him teaching that class. I said OK. Then I got prepare for the meeting.
It was 6.47 pm when I arrived there. Finding the mirror in the office, I tried to fix my performance. I changed my sandals with my black stilletto, applied some face powder onto my face, and lightly put some lipstick on my lips. Uhmm… looked fressher I guessed. Then I stepped out of the room to my class, carrying my bag.
When I entered the room, I could see you there. You and another student were sitting and having a chat. Both of you looked at me with a little bit surprise, realizing that somebody else was entering that place. I smiled at you two and tried to break the ice by getting to know you all. You responded nicely to all my questions. Then you asked me to introduce myself. I did.
“Are you a Miss or Mrs?” that’s the next question from you, didn’t mean to be impolite.
“What do you think?” I asked you in return.
“Uhmmm…single?”
“Yup.”
“In a relationship?”
I smiled at you again.
“So, what if I’m single and available?” I teased him. Then you laughed. I knew, the ice was breaking. We flowed to the material smoothly. Ten minutes later, one by one, other students came and joined us. Then we made in-pair practice for the speaking module.
During that session, you did gazed at me in astonishment (I guessed so B->) Well, from the Part 1 question-and-answer session, I got some information about you that you worked as a lecturer at one of the private universities in this city and was in progress finishing your doctoral degree about people management. Anyway, combined with the good-looking face and brawny body, your smartness could be like a toxin for me. You started to make me so numb with your enchantment. I was scare. My God, help me. It could not be right this way. The time was tickling fast.
Yup, finally the time was over. One side, I felt glad but sad as well in another side B->>. Before leaving, you asked me certain cases about speaking matter. (actually, I didn’t see any urgency for you to ask such a question to me since in my opinion, your English was quite good enough.) Then we said good bye. On the way to my office, I saw you got into your car. It was a silver avanza if i was not mistaken. Hhmmm, it was really a deadly combination I thought. Yes i guessed, especially if you realized those strong points. I shook my head and smiled.
In my office, I looked at a mirror and tried to figure out you. I could see you inside my eyes. It wasn’t right that the passion started to overwhelm and seized me. Then I blinked them. Suddenly, I saw your figure vaporize from my mind slowly but sure. I released you. It’s not proper to keep you inside my mind. We just met in a big transit area.
That was the first time I saw you. It was in the middle of March, after the heavy rain. Then it took you away from me. And the life went on as the way it should be.

2 comments:

Nabio said...

wow, what a story... whyever had you let go of him, though?... romantic, but, is that true one or fiction?... sounds like short romance.. ;)

eliana candra said...

;)) what do you think?? what if it was so? or what if it was not? hehehe...

 
design by suckmylolly.com